How do I begin divorce proceedings?

As long as you have been married for at least one year, a divorce petition can be prepared. This is submitted to the court and the other party would receive a form of acknowledgement. Following the interim divorce order you would apply for the Decree Absolute. Our family law solicitors are on hand to ensure your divorce is dealt with in the correct manner.

When you want to begin divorce proceedings ensuring you have the eligibility is one thing to consider, but it is best practice to seek legal advice to go through the legal implications before you start, another is the grounds for Divorce. This should be specific to your situation and if possible speak to your spouse before proceeding.

If the court is satisfied with the documents and both parties' agreement to the divorce, it may issue a Decree Nisi. This is a provisional decree that states there is no reason why the marriage cannot be dissolved